The Lady Friend and I had, as all good fans should do at ballgames, snuck down into the 15th or so row of box seats around the eighth inning. In the ninth, we sat behind the Red Sox dugout and I engaged in some rather friendly banter with the bad guys. Again, I can't honestly hate Sox fans, especially the true ones. It's not their fault that their team turned into a bunch of pretentious, intolerable, media whoring assholes once they won a championship. Not their fault at all.
With one out left in the game, the clear majority of fans remaining at the game stood up. As did I. This is not a strange move by any means. In fact, I actually thought that this was standard protocol. With two outs in the bottom of the ninth, you stand up: 1) if your team is winning you cheer for them to close it out or,2) if they are trailing you cheer for them to come from behind.
Or, if you are the asshole three rows behind me you instigate the following exchange:
Me: (Standing up) "Come on Albert! Base knock, brah!"
45 year old drunk Boston fan, actively embarrassing his two children with him while sitting three rows behind me: "Sit down!"
Me: "Why don't you stand up?"
Dude: "You're stupid"
Dude: "You're a big man"
Me: *Actually laughing out loud*
Dude: "You're stupid. Way to impress the woman, you big man."
Me: "Come on Jim E! Keep it going, brah!"
Dude: "I'll get an usher! You better sit down! You're stupid! There, the games over! Are you happy? Are you proud, you big man?"
Me, smiling at him after the final out: "Yeah, I am kind of stupid"
Probably a thirty second exchange of not so pleasantries follows after the game in which the following information was established as fact:
1) I am a big man.
2)I am stupid.
3)That man's kid's therapy bills will be through the roof someday.
So, to sum up the evening:
- The Cardinals lost a good, civil baseball game to the Sox
- I still like Sox fans (passionate, always ready and willing to engage in a knowledgable baseball debate, what's not to like?) except when they boo my sweet little lovable Columbian, Edgar
- I am a big man who, while being stupid, impresses his woman
- I have an uncanny ability to consume inordinate amounts of beer and still be able to operate a motor vehicle
So that's that. I'm catching a plane in a few hours to Charlotte, NC. Heading to the Appalachians tonight in order to partake in a little white water rafting. Saturday, I'll do a little boating with the boys on Lake Norman, and all the while I'll be canning beers, happy as can be.
If you find yourself bored today, I have a few sites to note:
- I never thought I would be happy that the Illini's point guard broke his foot, but he did, and I am.
- "Does Randall Simon have a 14 year old kid?" you ask. "Exhibit A," I respond:
- From my buddy Vince: "A guy from my work found this site, and it's definitely worth rockin, I play it every morning before cold callin'" Your The Best Around
Lata on, bitches.