8/31/2005

 

Hurricane Katrina + Brett Favre = A Weird Post About Fantasy Football

"Brett Favre plays well during times of turmoil," I say.
"That's an understatemenet," you respond.

"Brett Favre is positively phenomenal when things are at their worst," I profess.
"That still doesn't quite cut it," you rebut.

"Brett Favre fucking rocks when things have gone to shit!" I exclaim.
"Exactly," you say pleased.

I have written about it before, but Brett Favre turning on the goosebumb machine after his father passed away in December of 2003 still ranks pretty damn high on my list of favorite moments in sports.

Last year the Green Bay Packers started the season 1 and 4. Dismal, pathetic, and a clear sign that the Packer's reign of the NFC North was coming to an end.

Then, on October 14, 2004, Brett Favre's wife, Deanna Favre, was diagnosed with breast cancer. This news came just eight days after Deanna's brother, Casey Tynes, was killed in an ATV accident.

Brett Favre's next game was on October 17th. And granted, it was against the lowly Detroit Lions (who haven't won a Championship since Vietnam was a French colony) but the Packers won big, 38 -10. Including that game, the Pack proceeded to run off 6 wins in a row, and finished the season winning 9 of their last 11 games. Favre finished the season with 30 TD's and over 4,000 passing yards before spontaneously self-combusting (yet again) in the playoffs.

It has now been pretty well documented that Favre, a native of Kiln, MS, and his family have been badly effected by Hurricane Katrina. Not nearly as bad as tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of others living in the Gulf, but effected negatively none the less.

Given Favre's track record for coming up big (all right, REALLY BIG) in games following his and his families personal tragedies, what should we expect from him next weekend (when he plays again against the hapless and piss-poor defense of the Lions)?

That question started ratteling around my head a day or two ago while I took a moment to think about my fantasy football team.

My fantasy football draft went a few weeks ago (Yes, I had a fantasy football draft in early August. And yes, I know, I am a dork) and I got lucky enough to snag Favre as my backup QB to Daunte Culpepper. I also picked up Favre's best two receivers, Javon Walker and Donald Driver.

And now, after every thing that has happened down in the Gulf, I realize:

I have to start Brett Favre for week number one.

And I have to start Walker and Driver, too.

I have to start all three of them for Week 1, don't I?

I really have no other option.

If Brett Favre doesn't throw for 350 yards and 5 TD's against the Lions, I will eat my hat (not my conversation hat, though.)

_______________________________________

Also, I hate to mention the destruction that Hurricane Katrina caused so casually, but I did anyway. Honestly though, my thoughts are with those directly effected by the storm and with those who have family and friend down there.

Throughout my life I have made winter pilgrimages to the Gulf to stay at my Grandparents condos (they bounced around between Ft. Walton and Destin, FL before finally bucking up and getting a place in Orange Beach, AL) and between 2000 and 2001, I lived off and on for about eight months in Pensacola, so I know the Flora-Bama area of the Gulf pretty well.

That being said, the images that I have seen on TV and on the Internet are absolutely foreign to me.

Literally incomprehensible for me to take in.

Biloxi, MS looks like Beirut, circa 1983, not the thriving gambling hub of America's Redneck Riviera that I have come to know and love.

This is undoubtedly America's worst situation since 9/11. Admittedly, I am a bit of a news junkie. I have been sitting around flipping between CNN, MSNBC, and FoxNews for the last few days, hoping to finally hear some good news. Unfortunately, it seems to just keep getting worse.

If you can afford to, give 'em a few bucks and help.

They need it.

_________________________________

Update (9/13/05):
Well, I started Farve, Walker, and Driver. And they fucking killed me.

Driver got six points, Farve forgot to throw a touchdown, and Javon Walker is now out for the rest of the season, thus ending my fantasy season before it really even started.

Once again, I am the same guy who thought that the Cardinals signing Tino Martinez was a good idea, so you should never listen to me about sports.

I don't even know why I listen to myself about sports. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Comments:
I tend to bury my head in tragedy. I also admired Lance Armstrong's autobiography that he did after his cancer and 1st championship win on Tour de France.
 
Generally speaking, I tend to drink a little bit more, talk to my loved ones more often, and work a little bit harder when things go bad. Tragedy and adversity do different things to different people.

Sometimes, it brings out the best in people.

Me? It just reminds me how good I have always had it and makes me want to keep on plugging away so that I (and those who come after me)will always have it just that well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

"I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the state of Missouri."