9/23/2005

 

Quick Thoughts : Al Fritz - Not a Good Blogger

"Jebus Al...Only a Monday and a Friday post this week?" you ask rhetorically. "How the hell do you expect me to waste my day away pretending to work?"

I don't know. Start drinking?

Anyhoo, I apologize. Now on with the show
_________________________________

My buddy Josh sent me this little e-mail today:

"October coming up again and it looks like the Red Birds are the best team in the land"

Yeah, it's true, October is quickly sneaking up on us. And you know how I get come October.

But here's what I'm thinking about for this year's October: If the Cardinals don't win the World Series, what's the fucking point.

I had fun last year. Making it to the Series was fun. But it's almost as if I still won't have full closure until the Cardinals win it all.

I'm trying to not get my hopes up too high, though. Yeah, if the Birds win it this year, the last two years probably rank pretty close to the top for back-to-back seasons by a Cardinals team. I still say this 5-year stretch is a better 5 year run than any Cardinals team has ever had, and all it's missing is a World Series win. (Yes, the current period is better than the gas house gang, better than the watered down 1940's, barely better than the late '60's, and definitely better than the '80's. And that's a fact, jack.)

I think what I'm getting at is that if (when?) the Cards make the Series, I don't think anyone is going to be "happy to be there." Myself included.

Less smiles around the StL. More Tony LaRussa faces.

Counting my chickens before they hatch? Yes. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't.

__________________________________

This week's McSweeney's fix. God I love that site. Genius.

__________________________________

Am I the only one who is expecting Al-Jazeera to release a video of Usama Bin Laden sitting in front of some sort of black and white TV with an old school nintendo controller taped to it acting as if he's controlling the hurricanes? Now THAT'S propaganda!

__________________________________

Wow. How did I not know about this site. I kind of miss Phish. I don't miss paying $3 for a grilled cheese sandwich, but I do miss the people.

__________________________________

The Lady Friend and I are headed up to Peoria this weekend (nothing like a road trip during a gas shortage, huh?) for a little festival. What kind of festival? St. Philomena's Fall Festival, of course!

Yes, my old grade school and neighborhood church is throwing their annual fall fest this weekend. There really is nothing like going back to the old neighborhood, maybe riding the tilt-a-whirl, listening to some live crap-rock, and settling in in front of the ol' beer tent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you didn't grow up in a neighborhood and you're not Catholic, you're life sucks.

Catholicism...WOW!

Have a good weekend.


Comments:
I'm picking Cards over Yanks right now...although if I were youse I'd be spend some time hanging around Atlanta seeing if I could hit Andruw Jones with my car.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

"I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the state of Missouri."