1/16/2006

 

The Great Mix Off of 2006

48 hours from right now, I should be pulling up to my hotel room in Tulum.

As any good travel agent would put it: For an evening or a week, there's no place like Tulum. Sun, spirits, and sacrilege, Tulum has it all!

Or does it?

Not quite. What Tulum is lacking in is mix CDs. Actually for all I know, they have more mix CDs than one could shake his or her sticks at. But, come Wednesday, there will be even more.

Thanks to a hot little idea created by Willie Tripod we are having a mix CD off.

That's right...It's a mix off.

Each participant makes a mix CD and burns enough copies for the other participants. After all mix CDs have been heard, the council votes and a winner is determined. What does the winner get? As of right now, only rights (but you know how much I love Rights.) Another prize (such as a free Irish Carbomb or eight) will probably be given out as well.

The front-runner for best mix is Cookman [pronounced kook-man (he once wore a Halloween costume which was nothing more than him having messed up hair, acting like an idiot, and wearing a shirt which said "Cookman" across the front of it. Get it? He was kooky! Unfortunately, he misspelled it "cookman" and he went through the evening hearing snide remarks like "where's your spatula, Cook-man?" or "Whose leg do I have to hump to get an omelet around here, Cook-man?" Good times, great oldies.)]

Cookman has long been into the mix scene producing classics such as "Lonesome Andy," "Laid Back Tunes, " and the upcoming "Corporate Ecstasy." No, I did not make any of those titles up.

I made my list as I normally would: with lots of flow...peaks and valleys, man, peaks and valleys. However, I did not want to fall into the trap of "hey, we're going to the beach... let's make a beach tape!" So there will be no Jimmy Buffet or Bob Marley, as much as I love them both. I also left off Phish's "Fee" and Ween's "Bananas and Blow" after deciding that they too are just a little too beachey.

So here's what I came up with, titled "Five Nights in Mexico (Lionel Hutz and Gulia get Hitched):
  1. The Bends - Radiohead
  2. Haiti - The Arcade Fire
  3. For You - Bruuuuuuce Springsteen
  4. I want You - Bob Dylan
  5. But Then Again No - Shout Out Louds
  6. That's Entertainment - The Jam
  7. Tired of Being Alone - Rev. Al Green
  8. It Must be Love - Madness (yeah, I only know about this song because of a fucking commercial, sue me)
  9. Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan
  10. What is Life - George Harrison
  11. What a Wonderful Man - My Morning Jacket
  12. Picture This - Blondie
  13. A Minor Incident - Badly Drawn Boy
  14. All I Need - The Temptations
  15. If You Leave - Nada Surf
  16. On a Night Like This - Bob Dylan
  17. Let it Rain - Eric Clapton
  18. Showdown - Electric Light Orchestra (ya gotta end big)

Head on over to the new and improved iD1G1T if you feel like listening to any of the tunes (or any other tunes, for that matter.)

--------------

Also, if you feel like spreading a little of your love around, head on over to The Phat Phree and give me some nice little votes for the Shocker article.

Nice.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

"I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the state of Missouri."