5/17/2007

 

Project: Al's Wedding Music

Six months from right now, at one in the morning, I will be on the beautiful beaches of exotic Tulum, Mexico, probably really drunk and perhaps trying to sex a dolphin. Later that day, I will be getting married (unless she finds out about all the dolphin sex).

Post ceremony, we will be having dinner, drinks, and dancing right near the beach (boy!)
The dinner we already have figured out (steak and sushi), as well as the drinks [pretty much everything under the sun, and lots of it; by the end of the evening I'll probably be drinking some sort of concoction consisting of tequila, pool water, and grenadine with a pineapple garnish (I will call it a "Razor Ramon")], it's the dancing aspect of this wonderful evening to be, which I, for the next six months, will be turning my focus to.

The set list as of right now looks something like: "Feelin' Alright" > 4 hours TBD > "Showdown." Which means we're pretty much halfway home, already.

I know of a few songs which will make the cut as well ("Baba O'Reilly", "Torn And Frayed", "Sweet Virginia", "Loving Cup" (Phish version), "Me and My Uncle", "Tangled Up in Blue", "Dead Flowers", "Girl From The North Country", "Rosalita", "Hurdy Gurdy Man", "Time Has Come Today", "Monkey Man", "Bananas and Blow", "In The Meantime", "Superstition", "Hurricane", "Soul to Squeeze", and "Peggy-O" have all been promised slots, and I'm 99% sure there will be a "Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" towards the end of the evening, just so my friends and I all have a chance to scream at each other in a Levon Helm / Muppet voice as our wives and girlfriends stare disapprovingly at us.), but I've got a lot of empty space; I'd say upwards of three hours. And most of the guys in there already are from the popular genre "Classic Rock", which while a fantastic genre in its own right, can't be the lone wolf, so to speak.

I need some funk, and I need some soul.

So, yet again, I'm turning to you for help, Interwebs. I'm all ears on this blog (well, all ears and sweat. Mostly sweat, really.), any recommendations will be highly appreciated and very well received. If you've got a favorite jam, something to set the dance floor ablaze, drop it off in the comments or shoot me an electronic mail, if you would be so kind. The always sharing Ace Cowboy got the party started for me yesterday, hooking me up with a massive funk set, that I'll be combing through over the next few days, so this ball is already a rollin'.

Help a brutha (not really a brutha) out, won't ya?

--------------

Also, while I'm on the topic of music, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the fact that Wilco's newest work, "Sky Blue Sky", is the balls. Probably my favorite Wilco album since "Being There" and considering how much I enjoyed their last two, that's saying something. I know its early, but "Hate it Here" is high in the running for Al's Song o' Summer, '07.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Will Smith - Get Jiggy Wit It.
 
Only if you promise to do the butt to it, Moz.
 
You need some Prince!
 
I do need some Prince!

(And prince needs his own html code. I think § is the closest.)
 
Diana Ross - Love Hangover
 
"Couldn't Get It Right" by Climax Blues Band is a reasonably fun-kay song. There's a strange remix of it (along with video of dogs playing) here.

As for the Prince symbol, there isn't a unicode entity for it, but I found this ascii art version.
 
how bout some Hazard?!
 
2 your booty? Fo' sho'.
 
Couldn't Get It Right is actually a really cool song. I can't people people actually know that song exists. Good stuff.

Fritzy, I can't emphasize enough, Cold Bear and Pig Snoots are two must-haves on that mix from the Funk box set. Two of the greatest songs ever created by man, machine or machine-men. But great call on Loving Cup, which is such an instant boner that I've masturbated to it too many times to count.

Also, being all ears and sweat isn't as bad as when Keith Jackson referred to Dwayne Jarrett (or Steve Smith, but I think Jarrett) as "all hamstrings and old leather." I'm pretty sure that's racist.
 
Robert Randolph and the Family Band, pretty much anything they do is good, but I need more love would be good for the jam set...
 
Some suggestions:

Stevie Wonder - Superstitious
Incredible Bongo Band - Apache
Earth, Wind and Fire - Shining Star*
Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
pretty much anything by James Brown
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup
Tower of Power - What Is Hip
Wilson Pickett - Mustang Sally
Jamie Lidell - Multiply

...for starters.

* This is the song that Elaine danced to, "with the kicking and the thumbs," as Jerry described it.
 
Excellent day for the blog, thanks guys and gals. Other suggestions sent in:

Got to Give It Up -- Marvin Gaye (I've got a live verison from Montreaux in 1980 that rocks)
Martha, My Dear -- Beatles (which reminds me, what's the Mrs' name?)
Use Me -- Bill Withers (questionable taste, but funny for a wedding, and great tune)
Anything by Curtis Mayfield (I'm guessing Pusherman is bad, but Superfly, yahtzee)
Tell Mama -- Etta James (sweeeeet song)
Anything by the Faces (Stay With Me is tops, Bad n Ruin is tops, too)
The Letter -- live version by Joe Cocker
Gotta have some Steely Dan
Thank You for Sending Me an Angel -- Talking Heads
James Brown -- everything ever
 
"Let it Whip" by The Dazz Band

I promise you won't be dissapointed. Pure cheesy 80's funk and soul. You may not recognize the name of the artist or the song, but trust me you've heard this song before.

Copy and paste the link below to refresh your memory.

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF177240-01-01-01.mp3
 
If you could do the "Carlton Dance" from Fresh Prince to that song that would score major points with the all the wedding attendees.

Also for more cheesy 80's dance songs might I suggest "Dancin on the Ceiling" or "All Night Long" by the father of Paris Hilton's former best friend.
 
A few more updates:

Wobble Cha by Cool Benny

Para Donde Vas by The Iguanas

"Isn't She Lovely." Stevie Wonder
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

"I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the state of Missouri."