6/24/2008

 

Retro Summer '08

I had a theory which I debuted to skeptic ears at a rocking Summer Solstice bbq Saturday evening:

Summer 2008: Retro Summer!


Everything that has already happened and is about to happen in this glorious, messed up, wicked summer of 2008 already happened before, while my friends and I were all between the ages of nine and sixteen. Cases in point:

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now, but there's something out there this summer -- (cousin) maybes it's moving into a new house in a new 'hood, maybe it's watching The Burbs (and I went down to the deli to get some of those beef sandwiches) and the 1992 Royal Rumble three times in the last week and a half, maybe it's me masturbating to a copy of Cosmo from 1991 -- but something out there feels right this summer, like I've been there before, and things were right, magical, even.

There are other similarities out there, I'm sure. Drop 'em off below if you got 'em.

(Yes, all of this giddy, god forsaken, fascinating optimism is probably because this is the best I have felt this late into the summer about a Cardinals team since Ought Five and feeling good about the old hometown nine by the time air conditioner weather makes not just for a great summer, but for a great outlook all around. In fact, I'm going to go look at my 1992 Score box set and giggle.)

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Summer will be over before you come up with anything else.
 
I'm going to continue to leave comments until you write something else.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

"I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the state of Missouri."