8/30/2008

 

The Redeem Team

I've been cleaning up a few html errors which have been occuring on the ol' blog lately (man, I'm glad that weird .edu script stopped) and looking over some archives, when I saw my comment about the 2004 US Olympic basketball team:

"Sunday's loss to Puerto Rico is still lingering in the back of my mind. It doesn't help that the Wet Dream Team just snuck by a Greek team who had George Papadapolos from Webster playing power forward. I am a fan of basketball, one of 217 Americans who still have a rudimentary understanding of the game. Watching this collection of B-list NBA talent play in Athens has now left me with a facial cringe which may take a few days to go away. When our best "outside shooter", the highly overrated Richard Jefferson, is too concerned about what to yell after his next dunk- that he can't even square his shoulders with the basket before shooting a trey- then our team is in big, big trouble.

This is not the player's fault. Although most of them look like they're trying to duplicate the play of Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf, they play the way that they have been playing all their lives. The American's who would make the best international players either did not want to go to Athens, for whatever reason (Jason Kidd, Michael Redd, Mike Bibby) or were not invited (Brent Barry, Fred Hoiberg, myself.) The selection process simply must be changed when picking the next Olympic team, remembering that the 2008 Olympics will be held in Beijing, not at Rucker Park. "

I would like to thank not only USA basketball on their decision to include guys who would translate well to the international game (the aforementioned Kidd, Deron Williams), but also to Kobe and LeBron, who are the caliber of American player that have been passing up on the Olympics since the original Dream Team in '92.

Good work, gents.

(Also, does anyone have any of those old 1992 Dream Team McDonalds cups for sale? Those things were t-y-t tight.)

(And, of course go Illini.)

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

"I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the state of Missouri."